October 31, 2011

Love Map Wall Art {DIY Wedding Gift}

I love the idea of giving newlyweds a wedding gift that is unique, personal, and something you hope they’ll cherish a lot longer than their Dyson vacuum cleaner! One of my co-workers/friends got married last weekend and I wanted to make something extra special for and her new hubz.  I remembered awhile back there was this really clever piece of wall art from Minimoz floating around the blogosphere.  I was definitely inspired and came up with this………


Want to make one of your own? Here’s what you’ll need:
DIY 3D Craft Heart Accents {I found mine at Michael’s in the wall decal section.  Small wooden shaped hearts would work well too.}
Mod Podge Gloss
Sponge
Scissors
1 Sheet of colored cardstock {for your matte}
1 Sheet of colored paper {for your wording}
Craft glue
Picture frame {mine was an 8 x10}
Old Atlas or print off maps on Google

To begin, using your heart accent or template, trace and cut out three hearts from your maps.  Focusing on cities that are sentimental to the couple. For example, I centered my hearts around the cities in which my friend and her hubby first met, got married, and where they just bought their first home.
Take your sponge and start applying Mod Podge Gloss to the front of your 3D heart accents.  Place your cut out heart shaped maps on top. Cover your maps with Modge Podge as well. The adhesive will dry clear.

Once your hearts are dry, you will want to center and adhere them to the front of your cardstock with either glue or adhesive foam squares.  Then print or write out your heart titles on some colored paper.  Trim around your titles and glue to your artwork.  Remove the glass from your picture frame, insert your artwork, replace the backing and your done! Easy peasy, right?



18 comments :

sherri lynn said...

This is such a creative gift! How sweet! I think the most memorable gift we received was a bunch of presents we were to open throughout our first year of marriage: one right away, one in the fall, one at christmastime, one at valentine's day, one in spring, one in the summer, and then on our anniversary. It was SO fun!

Heather J said...

very cute. I'm a fan of anything with maps. I did something similar that I love.

Meg {henninglove} said...

this is so cute jennifer!! what a great idea for newlyweds. my favorite wedding gift or most memorable is my stand mixer, i know it is so impersonal but that thing just used A LOT!! hope you had a great weekend!

Ashley said...

so dalring! i love it jen. great job!! :) happy halloween!
xo
ash

Grammy Goodwill said...

What a great idea. I got married back in the day when embellishing the wedding invitation was the popular creative thing to do.

Sarah said...

So cute! I love this idea! I think for me, they'd all be the same maps though! Haha! Oh yea, and I'd probably have to get married first! Lol! :)

Denise Pacurar said...

Ok, this is absolutely amazing! I just bookmarked this page! I love this idea and am a huge fan for anything DIY!

xoxo Denise

http://allthingsnew-denise.blogspot.com/

Kendra + Patricia at Sweet Magnolia Way said...

This would be such a great gift idea! Thank you for sharing!

Shelley said...

This is so great!!! I so want to do this for us. We moved around for a while and this would be a fun reminder :) Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Shelley
www.westermanfam.blogspot.com

Cort at Wistful Stitches said...

This is absolutely adorable!!

Chrissy & Nate said...

Such a great and personal gift! Visiting from TT&J!

www.everydaywiththejays.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

i featured this on Tell ME Tuesday!!
come grab a button if you would like:)
thanks
xo
ash

Jennifer said...

Ah! Love it!! Great tutorial!
Thanks for sharing at Show & Share!

Jennifer said...

And I'm making this a feature from last weeks party! Hope you'll grab a button!

Marilyn said...

THIS IS SUPERB.. Very lovely and awesome.. I would LOVE for you to please share it at my Pin'Inspirational Party please.. ;)) LOVE it.. http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/11/pininspirational-thursdays-linky-party_09.html

Ashleys Design Studio said...

Love this! Definitely going to try this out!

Danielle said...

Thank you for the link back. You did an awesome job!

Theresa said...

This is such a cute idea! But did they meet at Willow Creek CC? Just saw the area and remembered that that's were the church is.. ;)

Post a Comment

Talking to myself is no fun & borderline crazy so go ahead get your comment on!

 
Blog Design by Edub Graphic Art and Design