October 26, 2011

When Crafts Go Wrong.............

There are times in a crafter’s life when projects go wrong and when they do there is only one thing you can do to save yourself from a DIY mental melt down…poke fun at yourself! I figured today I would take the time to share a few of my crafty mishaps. Remember VH1’s Behind the Music? Well, this is like Behind the Crafts, only unlike the TV series, my profanity and abuse against these projects wasn’t videotaped. Just use your imagination.


Literally, this craft really was going to the dogs! I wanted to create a treat canister for Sianna and Brylee and the project started off great until I realized dogs have 4 “toes” or foot pads or whatever you call that part of a dog’s anatomy! This is when things went downhill….when I removed the “toe” labels to allow room for a 4th “toe” it destroyed the paint. I had peeled and bubbly color everywhere {I know it is difficult to tell from the pic but I promise it is a hot mess!}. I should have just accepted a 3 “toe” dog and moved on.  

Later I discovered the lid was stuck…yep, I put it back on too soon! The paint hadn’t dried yet. Call me vain but I can't face this imperfect treat canister every time I give my dogs a treat. "Good girl" will have to do for now.  Kidding.....I once read about a Yorkie who ate her owner's toe. Just think...all Fluffy wanted was a darn treat. I would like to keep all my toes. Thankyouverymuch. By now you probably think I am obsessed with toes....dog toes, human toes...but I promise this is just a strange coincidence.

I was super excited when I discovered this gorgeous wrapping paper from Paper Source.  My idea was to add some bird decals to the wrapping paper, frame it, and place it in my “studio”. I picked up a white frame from Hobby Lobby, brought it home,  and while trying to bend back all those obnoxious metal tabs {that break your nails!} on the back,  the glass slipped and cracked into pieces. Now multiply that story times three. That’s right people! I returned to Hobby Lobby two more times and each time I brought that frame home the darn thing broke again!  Now I have three glasseless frames and torn wrapping paper. Remember at the beginning when I said use your imagination about profanity and craft abuse? Well, this would be one of those times.


There once was a girl who covered a “B” in moss. End of story. Okay, so maybe this isn’t exactly a craft gone wrong it is just a craft that went no where.  My original plan was to slip satin ribbon through it and hang it somewhere but it looked silly and lonely. So if anyone has any ideas on reviving this thing I’d appreciate hearing them. I mean it would totally make up for all the time I spent on cleaning moss up from my living room floor.

Have you had any projects go awry on your lately?

12 comments :

Jaime Lyn at Crafty Scrappy Happy said...

Love this! Your post completely made me smile! Thank you!!!!! :o)
Jaime

Tonia @ TheGunnySack.com said...

Awww...don't you just hate that? I started make a wreath and it looked terrible so it's back to the drawing board for me!

Sarah said...

Haha! I've definitely screwed up my share of crafts! This past weekend I tried to refashion a thrifted sweater. I had this great idea of how it was going to go. Well, yea. Turns out, it wasn't as easy as I thought! I managed to salvage it into a decent sweater, but it's definitely not what I had in mind!

Meg {henninglove} said...

oh man jennifer we all have had those projects! you are just brave enough to share yours wtih us, and that glass must be really really fragile for it to break that many times, geesh!! maybe there is some fun project you can do with broken glass just don't cut yourself!

Grammy Goodwill said...

I totally understand. I just did similar post if you want to check it out:
http://grammygoodwill.blogspot.com/2011/10/its-not-as-easy-as-you-said-it-was.html
Maybe now I won't feel so bad.

theLENNOXX said...

B for... Bathroom?! Looks great, but I can imagine the cleanup lol.

xox Linda

Sheila said...

What a fun idea for a blog post! I've had a few craft mishaps and some baking ones, too. :)

I like your moss letter. Maybe it could go outside? Back porch? Deck?

Lindsay [rookie's nest] said...

LOL i have an idea - put your B on the wall and hang one of your empty frames around it! HAHA. Great post!

Friendship Bracelets said...

Your stories were funny....I can understand the problems you might be facing while completing your projects.I have tries many of crafts and they are really very difficult.

mari of {crab+fish} said...

LOL about the glass breaking in the frames!! But, I can send you one if you still need it! :D I remove the glass whenever possible because I don't like glare. That is only a *little* bit OCD, right?? haha...And since I'm such a picture maniac, we have photos framed all over the place. I have STACKS AND STACKS of 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, etc glass.

mari of {crab+fish} said...

OH...and I submitted comment before I read the end of the post -- do you have an entry table? I would just lean the "B" against the wall with some stuff in front of it. Like a picture frame or vase or etc. You know, if you're still looking for a place for it almost a year later. :/ I really like it!

Mavis said...

I had a 4th of July wreath I was trying to make go awry. The darn candy kept falling off the wreath regardless of the glue used or how long I let it dry.

Also, for the life of me, I can't figure out how folks get the pool noodle turned wreath form to stay together. I tape the thing together, as I've seen so many folks do, and mine always starts pulling apart, on it's own. Even tried gluing the ends together and using duck tape for added strength. Same thing. So I guess I'll just continue to buy wreath forms, less hassle for me.

Post a Comment

Talking to myself is no fun & borderline crazy so go ahead get your comment on!

 
Blog Design by Edub Graphic Art and Design