October 5, 2011

Wicked Craft Week: DIY Spider Wall Art & How to Hang Ribbon on a Frame


Today I get to share my favorite Halloween project of the week; the framed spider wall art. I’m sure the use of burlap, ribbon, and the beloved color of blue had something to do with it! So wanna make one of your own?
Here’s what you’ll need:


Remove the glass and backing from your wooden frame. Use the back insert as a template for cutting your burlap fabric {you’ll want the burlap to be slightly larger then your template}. Then with your glue gun wrap and adhere the fabric tightly around the backing and insert the piece back into the glass-less frame.


Now it is time to add those creepy spiders! First, take one spider and spray paint it the color of your choice. I chose turquoise so that it would match the paper medallion I added to the frame later. Once dried, grab your spiders {including the painted one} and start setting them up in a grid-like form on your burlap. After you have achieved the desired spacing and set up of your eight legged creepers you can start hot gluing them down.

Once the glue on your project has dried measure and mark your two nail holes; one on each corner of your frame. In order to prevent your wood from spitting, use your awl tool and hammer a small hole into each mark. Then tightly screw in your two eye screws.


Cut and tie your ribbon through both sides of your eye screws.


For the final touch, glue on a paper medallion {found mine at Michaels!} or flower. I added a spider to the middle of my paper d├ęcor. Then hang your masterpiece on the wall!

It reminds me of a specimen collection from the entomology department.
But way more cooler. My entomology class was never this stylish.


For a fleeting second I thought to myself this would kind of look cute in a baby’s nursery.  Then I thought It’s probably a good thing I don’t have children right now. I highly doubt babies are digging the spider thing.



Linking here:





16 comments :

Tonii said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! Totally chic and I love it. Thank you so much for sharing it...I may have to make one of my own :)

Sarah said...

I love the burlap! It's perfect as a background for this project! I bet this would be so cute in the spring if you did one with flowers! Great idea! :)

Vanessa said...

Oh I'm so pinning this! Feel free to link this up at my 10 Crafty Days of Halloween linky party: http://vanessascraftynest.blogspot.com/2011/10/10-crafty-days-of-halloween-link-up.html

Regina of Live Delightfully said...

Oh my goodness!!! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for posting this. I've got these bulletin boards that I want to put up in my office for my own mood boards but during the move I lost all of the hardware to hang them. I've been trying to figure out if I can find more hardware like what I lost, or do something with some ribbon or what and then VOILA, here's your post. Thanks for the tip! Most helpful!!!

I just got my burlap in... Maybe I should make some seasonal art with some of it... ;)

Heather J said...

You're killing it with these crafty halloween crafts girl! This is my fav so far. :)

Lindsay said...

This is so fun! You are making too many fun things, I can't keep up. :) Inspiring though, really love them all!

Meg {henninglove} said...

lovely jennifer!! too cute and i love the blue spider for some reason. burlap is the best!

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

OMG, I am cracking up over your nursery comment. Yep, there might just be a reason there are no babies for you right now.haha Just kidding--you will be a fabulous mom when that time comes but it did make me laugh. Maybe something like butterflies would be better for a baby :)

Jennifer said...

What a chic piece of art! Love it!!
If it was different bugs than absolutely for a boys room!! :)
Thanks for linking up to Show & Share!!

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Eeewww...I LIKE it! Lots of variations could come of this, but this is just perfect for Halloween.

Flipchickdesigns said...

I LOVE this!!! So creepy, yet so cute!

Lish said...

AWESOME!!!!! This is sich a great idea...not sure about the baby room, although, my husband thought that was a good idea too..I guess it just depends on the person!!! LOL!

Kate said...

Oh I love this--turned out awesome!

A Pretty Life in the Suburbs said...

I love this! It's perfectly spooky and pretty for Halloween!
Jo-Anna

Anonymous said...

So great! I might have to try this with bats!

gold bracelets said...

Great idea of wall decor.I would definately like to try it out.Thanks for the tutorial.

Post a Comment

Talking to myself is no fun & borderline crazy so go ahead get your comment on!

 
Blog Design by Edub Graphic Art and Design