January 24, 2012

The Blogging Blues & 4 Ways to Refocus

  So there I am in bed with my laptop last Friday evening;I've got a glass of red wine, two snuggly dachshunds, & I'm ogling blog after blog when out of no where it happens........suddenly I DON'T LIKE MY BLOG. I start questioning my blog, my crafts, my writing, EVERYTHING.  I swear I had only just begun drinking. My stomach started churning & I seriously believed that for the good of the world I should never write another blog post again! Or better yet I should delete it & deny it ever existed in the first place. Convince everyone they were conspiracy theorists any time they even mentioned the word "blog". "Blog? What blog? You work for the government don't you!"
 {Source: The Artist at Work via My Devine Self}

Okay, so maybe that was being a little dramatic but I did feel an overwhelming amount of self-doubt. I know it's easy to get tied up in the whole comparison game and EVERY BLOGGER DOES IT but quite honestly I can't even blame my sudden onset of the blogging blues on that. So it wasn't envy. It definitely wasn't blogger burnout or the lack of  coming up with content. I actually feel like for the first time in my blogging life that I have more post ideas than I do time. I couldn't pinpoint what it was, but for that very moment I just felt I had lost my bloggy blog way {not to be confused with Snoop Dogg's doggy dog ways}.

The truth is blogging is like a relationship. It can be demanding but you must nurture it. It can be simple or as complicated as you want it to be. Just like in relationships there are bound to be flaws with your blog but you work your way through them. 
 {Source: Bohemian Musings}

I decided in order to get over this little rut I needed to remind myself of why I started blogging in the first place.  I needed to revisit my thoughts I had put down on paper when this blog was just a fragment of my imagination. I needed to reevaluate my goals. I needed to look at things from a different angle. And you know what? After doing all this I am slowly feeling like I can see the big picture again.

Here's 4 little tips that have helped me refocus


1. Let It Be.
Sometimes when you feel like you have lost sight of your blog's main mission you need to turn off the computer and step away.  It may sound counter intuitive when at all moments you should be working on getting back on track but sometimes taking a break is the best way to kick start your creativity again. 

2. Create or Revisit What Your Blogging Platform Is.
 Thanks to a very insightful blog called none other than the "Successful Blogging" blog I had created notes on what I wanted my blogging platform to be way before my first post here on Delightfully Noted.  The point of the exercise was to come up with 8-10 subjects you wanted your blog to be based on {example: crafts, handmade goods, small biz tips, etc....) Revisiting that list now & then helps me zone in on why I wanted to blog in the first place.


3. Create Your Perfect Reader.
No, I'm not talking about cloning here. I'm talking about envisioning the type of audience you want to create content for.  Of course, as a writer any body who is willing to read your blog should be considered the "perfect reader". However, I don't know a darn thing about biophysics & I sure as heck don't expect a lot of nesophysicists to be dropping by the DN. What I do know is crafting, being a small biz owner, & making fun of life's silly moments is what I enjoy most. I want to write for those people not nesophysicists {if you're a crafty nesophysicists then please, please no offense!}


4. Think Like a Magazine Editor
Quick! When I mention "Real Simple" magazine what comes to mind? "People?" "Better Homes & Gardens?" "Shape?"
Each & every magazine has it's theme, right? As a blogger, you are the editor-in-chief of your own "magazine". If you think of yourself that way then you more apt to stick to the goal & mission of your blog versus being all over the place with a bunch of random post.

There you have it! I'm not an expert by any means & I'm not naive either. I know this will be one of many ruts I get myself into with my blog. But these little reminders mentioned above definitely helped me get my groove back!

Have you ever hit a roadblock with your blog?  Do you ever feel like you've lost sight of where you're going? How do you refocus yourself? I'd love to hear any tips you may have!



Linking here:
http://todayscreativeblog.net/
http://jaysonandashley.blogspot.com/
http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/
http://somedaycrafts.blogspot.com/
http://www.somewhatsimple.com/
http://jaimelyn11.blogspot.com/
http://delightfulorder.blogspot.com/

14 comments :

Tonia L said...

I feel like I have so many blogging issues I don't even know where to start! But I think one of my biggest ones is that it feels lonely. Even though people check out my site and some even leave comments, I don't have a blogging community, if that makes sense. I don't have people I can bounce ideas off or work on projects with. No one in my "real life" knows the first thing about blogging.

Michelle Paige said...

Great post. This happens on a daily basis for me. It sure helps to take a breather, sometimes. I like your thoughts and advice. I'm going to check out that link. Thanks.

Tonii said...

Fantastic post Jennifer!! I think you stated it perfectly! I have to say though...you are one of my MOST favorite bloggers! I love your style and creativity. My goal for my blog this year has been to try to be completely authentic to the reasons I started blogging in the first place...to share ideas and inspiration as so many have shared with me. Keep up your amazing work, I always look forward to what you have to share!

Lindsay said...

Aw, you said it perfectly. Sometimes I go through a blogging rut, where I feel like I have nothing more to give. Creatively exhausted, more like it. Then when I just let it go & live my life, it comes back to me. I can't try too hard, or my blog just feels kind of fake, not me. So thanks for the advice. Blogging is so much fun & I love it, but I have said to myself, when it starts to not be like that, I need to walk away.

Lindsay Frye said...

Just wanted to let you know that I added your button to my page of favorite blogs!! :)

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon said...

I would like to think that we have all thought what you actually put in writing. Blogging is so rewarding, but it is really hard work. I think we all tend to see the positive things happening on other blogs and wonder are we doing enough, do people like what I'm writing, should I change my layout, are my pictures good, is anybody listening?

Thanks for the pointers to keep us all doing what we envisioned when we began blogging. As for your blog, it is FABULOUS! I love your projects, your pictures, and your writing. Enjoy what you are doing...we sure are!

Hollie Ann said...

ah! so true.

i've come to terms with not having to blog every day. if i don't have something, i don't. and that is perfectly okay.

as far as sticking to a goal...that is pretty hard for me ! i'm all over the place lol.

Kelly @ The Fit For Life Wife said...

Thank you for posting this! I'm in a bit of a blogging rut myself. I haven't posted since early last week. Oops!

I'm focusing on me right now, and will return to the blog when I feel inspired (which should be soon, or as soon as I have spare time :) ).

Heather J said...

In the two and a half years I blogged on olive and a, I struggled with this. I don't think I ever found my true voice. Yes, I did post stuff that I loved but nothing I was absolutely passionate about. While I stopped blogging for other reasons, I think not having to find that passion every day was a relief. That being said, I miss blogging. Ha!

Please don't stop blogging!! You've got a great thing going.

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

Oh girl I love this post...and I LOVE your blog!! Your blog was one of the very first I started reading each day! I think you are funny creative and real.

I go through the same things that you listed above. I compare my pictures (especially food ones) to other blogs and think.."WOW I suck" haha but I think that is totally normal. I also agree with the stepping away tip..helps big time for me!

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

Oh how I know what you are feeling. I have to tell you though, I have serious blog envy every time I look at your blog so please don't stop blogging. :)

As you know with our emails back and forth I have been in a rut too so I get it but it does always have a way of working out. You have a beautiful blog and have amazing posts and I wish I could write as well as you--you just pull in the readers. You are great so don't worry, be happy. haha

Cat said...

I hear exactly where you are coming from, sister! However, you have nothing (I repeat NOTHING) to worry about! You, pretty lady, are a rockin blogger and you will feel to mojo again. Just believe in your amazing self! xxcat

Regina of Live Delightfully said...

I get you. I really understand what you're saying and have felt that way too many times.

I'm not sure if you saw my tweet yesterday, but I read this post while eating lunch with the hubby and it totally gave me this a-ha moment. Which I'm going to go blog about... right now. ;)

Baye said...

I completely get this--been there, felt that and no doubt will again.

I also understand your first commenter, Tonia's feelings. Even though you have followers and some comments, blogging does feel like an individual sport most of the time.

Post a Comment

Talking to myself is no fun & borderline crazy so go ahead get your comment on!

 
Blog Design by Edub Graphic Art and Design