April 17, 2012

Distressing Furniture: Coffee Table Makeover

    I am as happy as a clam with my first attempt at distressing a piece of furniture.

I found this antique beauty after stalking Craig's List for like three weeks. 
The seller made a deal with me & then went MIA.
 I wasn't messing around.  I was going to possess this table if my life depended on it.
I had the hubby contact her acting like a new buyer.  

I know so sneaky, right?  I felt all "FBI-ish" with my little secret plot.

The coffee table was in rather stellar condition besides a faint, worn out spot on top.
In attempts to lighten up our living room that we are making over I've been working on pulling more blue into the room so I already knew the fate of my newly owned Craig's List goodie.
It was going to be blue, & distressed, & doggone beautiful & even though the hubby doubted I knew what the heck I was doing it came out just as I had dreamed.
So if you've never distressed furniture before it is actually one of those techniques where you can't really go wrong. My kind of project!

First, I lightly sanded the table down {thank goodness for electric hand sanders!}.  After I finished with the sanding, I wiped the table clean with a tack cloth. Next, I painted the piece. Once dry I sanded off certain areas of the table; mostly focusing 
on the spots where natural wear & tear would occur {ie. legs, crevices, etc.}
I wanted to add a little bit more aging effect to the table so I used  some Valspar Antiquing Glaze on it.

Isn't she a beaut, Clark?
The paint color is a wonderful mix of blue & green. It's called Wythe Blue from Valspar & it matches perfectly to some T.J. Maxx frames I found for the room a few weeks ago.
Of course I had to paint the bottom. It would drive me crazy if I got down on the floor to do sit ups & saw an unfinished bottom. Haha....sit-ups. Anyone who knows me knows that's funny.

Can you tell I love her?

So have you brought any pieces of furniture or household objects back to life lately? Do you do sit ups? Cause if you do, do a few for me. Wink.


22 comments :

Kyra @ caramelpotatoes.com said...

WOW!! What a transformation - this table looks amazing!! Great job!
- new follower via TJ!

Stephanie @ henry happened said...

She is a beaut! (Love the Griswald reference.) And I'm especially impressed at your cleverness in getting the table!!

Tonii said...

I'll make you a deal...you make me a gorgeous table like that, and I will do all the sit-ups for you that I can! :) That might not be saying much...;) You are so fantastic. The table is gorgeous...I am seriously impressed!

Heather J said...

Love it! Very impressed with your refinishing skills. It looks great! Can't wait to see the finished room!

Sarah said...

So awesome Jen!! I love it! You can find some really great deals on CL! Love the color too! And, definitely nope on the sit ups! I'd rather eat some creamy pasta! Maybe I can pay someone to workout for me??? Haha!

Jenn "Rook No. 17" said...

Jennifer, your table turned out so beautifully! I love the color, and the level of distressing is just perfect! Great tutorial too!

+1'd it!
Jenn

Katie said...

you did such an awesome job! I love the color and the little decorations you have on it!! NICE JOB!

Natasha in Oz said...

I'm so glad you found the table and made these gorgeous improvements! Great colour choice too.

If you have a minute to spare my weekly Say G'Day linky party is in full swing and I would be so thrilled if you could join in and link up this wonderful post!

Best wishes,
Natasha in Oz

Sarah said...

This looks great thanks for the tips. I am in the process of making a shelf that I want to antique so this will help! I would love for you to share this at my link party
http://thewinthropchronicles.blogspot.com/2012/04/share-it-link-party-7.html

Christine said...

I'm head of heels for her too!! So happy you are a part time FBI and were able to snatch her hehe

You did a fabulous job!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!

Amber said...

Jennifer...
This is your FIRST attempt???
Sweetie, you did awesome!
I absolutely LOVE it!
You need to keep doing this because you did just great!
Looks like your family room is turning out beautifully too...
ttys,
amber
{snippets of design}

Christine @ Park House Love said...

Love how it turned out...especially the glazing. Beautiful color too !

Tonia L said...

I'm in love too! My kitchen tables needs to be doing...want to pop on by?

Sarah said...

Thanks for linking up over at The Winthrop Chronicles!

Ashley said...

Looks amazing! That pop of blue makes the room!

Ashley
http://theonewhereshedreams.blogspot.com

Jenilyn said...

Beautiful Transformation! I would love for you to link this up to my "I Made This" party at Grits and Giggles. http://gritsandgiggles.blogspot.com/2012/04/i-made-this_18.html

Polkadot-pretties said...

Love your project!!!
I currently have a Craft, Create and Inspire linky party going on, i would love you to stop by and link up this project...
http://polkadot-pretties.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/you-inspire-linky-party_21.html

Claire x

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

This looks super fab! The color is amazing. I can't believe I just now am seeing this but apparently our great minds think alike because I just did a very similar look to my end tables in my living room. I did ivory paint and then distressed it by sanding off the paint so the ugly bachelorhood tables my husband brought into our house years ago our all behind us now. It was much more painful for him than it was for me haha

www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

Jenny @ The NY Melrose Family said...

I love it! You did such a great job on it. I'm always amazed by projects that go from drab to fab. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays!

Nicole said...

GORGEOUS! Love the colour!!!
And painting the bottom was definitely a good idea. You already had the paint and tools at the ready, why not do it? lol
-Nicole
Knit, Nicole, Knit!

Reproduction Furniture said...

This looks great thanks for the tips. I am in the process of making a shelf that I want to antique so this will help! I would love for you to share this at my link party..

Better homes said...

Thanks for sharing the information about distressing furniture.

Post a Comment

Talking to myself is no fun & borderline crazy so go ahead get your comment on!

 
Blog Design by Edub Graphic Art and Design