October 22, 2012

Antique Glazed Dollar Store Pumpkins

Did you check out all the crafty craziness that was going on here last week for "Wicked Craft Week?" If not just remember Santa's watching you. For the rest of ya, do you remember Lindy of Itsy Bisty Paper's fab Dollar Store pumpkin makeover? Pretty swell, huh? One of my favorite things about crafty blog land (not to be confused with Rainbow Land) is the fact that you can give twenty peeps the same object and in the end there will be twenty different things you can do creatively with that object. Case in point.....the Dollar Store pumpkins. There are a ton of tutorials out there on all the nifty things you can do with these bad boys. Seriously, there are like five hundred and seventy five things to do with them and now I'm about to share number five hundred and seventy six. 
I happen to grab a few from my local store a couple weeks ago thinking I would use them in my front porch decor but after I got them home I decided I wanted to spruce them up with some spray paint and incorporate them in my living room instead.
To spice things up a bit I decided to spray paint them three different colors; Krylon's Catalina Mist (of course! I seriously should be a spokesperson for this color!) Krylon's Dove White, and Urban Beige by Valspar.
I just simply covered the pumpkin's stems with painter's tape and then went to town with my spray paint; inhaled fumes and all. Then I let them dry for about an hour.
To my suprise the paint worked well on the styrofoam material but I felt like they needed a little something-something. Enter antiquing glaze.
I have a ton of this stuff left over from when I distressed my coffee table so I'm always on the lookout for ways to use some of it up.  I just dabbed some on a paper towel and wiped it on my pumpkin, let it sit for a few seconds and then wiped it off.  I applied it mostly to the creases of the pumpkin to make it appear more natural. I also used a small paint brush and painted some of the glaze on the stems to darken them up a little (I didn't wipe the glaze off them stems just let dry) 
That's it! Another way to makeover over a Dollar Store pumpkin.
 2013's Wicked Craft Week is going on now.
Come check out these easy and spooky 'eye' scream treats! 










18 comments :

Katie said...

you and all your pumpkins are adorable! now did you make any for me? :)

Style Journey said...

cute! I always looked at those pumpkins and thought they were ugly, but you spruced them up and totally make them adorable :) Heather

Regina of Live Delightfully said...

Gosh!! That looks fantastico! And yes, you are the queen of awesome colors. That's for sure! Love that color combo.

Koru Kate {Koru Wedding} said...

So cute & festive!

Tabitha@InspiredByGiving said...

So pretty! I love the pastel colors!! Super girly and Shabby Chic!

Emily Marie {Isnt That Charming} said...

So cute -- and so well done! I love the colors.

SarahJane Miller said...

I love these, seriously so cute! love the colors you chose too!

http://sjdmiller.blogspot.com

Meg {henninglove} said...

you are so creative jennifer and helping us keep our projects cheap is a bonus!

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

These look fantastic. Just love all the things you can do with those ugly orange pumpkins. You would never guess that we used the same pumpkins for our transformations when you see the after pictures. I love how versatile they are. I'm for sure wanting to go get some more now that I have seen yours. A great idea for a Thanksgiving centerpiece.

Melanie {Reasons To Skip The Housework} said...

These are darling! I'd love for you to come link them up at my weekly Tuesday Time Out Party !

I found you via your awesome cracker post at Itsy Bitsy Paper!

Smiles,
Melanie

Tonii said...

These are so gorgeous!! I think you already know I share your love of blue...that one is definitely my fave!! So chic, I would want to keep them up all year round!

Val said...

You are very clever....This would be a great project with my kiddies. Thank you.

Tonia L said...

They are so, so cute! I think I am the only one who hasn't purchased any of those dollar store pumpkins yet. I was planning to go there today but ran out of time.

Smart! School {House} said...

VERY cute and chic:) Thanks for coming to party with us at Whimsy Wednesday!

Kelly,
Smart! School {House}
www.smartschoolhouse.com

Stephanie @ henry happened said...

I love the colors that you did! so much cuter than orange!

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

So sweet! Love the colors you chose.

<3 Christina at I Gotta Create!
Wildly Original linky party is open

mari of {crab+fish} said...

so I went to the dollar store the other day in search of pumpkins for some last-minute decor -- and they didn't have any! probably people all rushing out to snatch them up after reading your post........but I DID buy the ugly owl
you made over in another post. I wouldn't have given him a second glance, but he does have a nice little figure to him. not sure what I'm going to do with him or where I'm going to put him yet......

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing...

Post a Comment

Talking to myself is no fun & borderline crazy so go ahead get your comment on!

 
Blog Design by Edub Graphic Art and Design