November 4, 2012

Mod Podge Craft: Simple DIY Thanksgiving Plate



Happy daylight savings.  What does one do with an extra hour? Craft, of course.
I picked up this plaid plate from Target the other day from the clearance rack & knew it would make for some perfect Thanksgiving decor. Of course it wouldn't be TG with out my homey, Turkey Tom. Some of you may remember him from last year's free printable iron-on project.
After giving him a new wardrobe I just simply printed his image out on some regular cardstock and then cut out around the design.  If you don't want to design your own image you could always search for clip art on-line. There are a ton of images to choose from.
Now for the final step {sigh....I wish all my projects were this quick & easy!}
I used a paint brush to apply some Mod Podge Gloss-Lustre glue to the center of the plate.
I added some to the back of the cardstock image as well and then adhered it to the plate, smoothed out the air bubbles, and then allowed it to dry for a bit.
Then to seal the deal I applied more Mod Podge to the top of my image.
Hold up, wait a minute, put a little love in it {name that song}.
I made the mistake of going a little postal with the amount of Mod Podge I used on top of my image.
It ended up smearing my colors and leaving a VERY heavy gluey, sheen on top even after it dried.
No problem, man! I just printed off another copy of Turkey Tom and simply glued my second image on top of the first. AND this time I used a very small amount of Mod Podge on top to finish the plate off. Phew.....mission accomplished.
I put Tom in the hallway with my semi-finished gallery wall.
 
Lookin good Tom, lookin good.
 
So what did you do with your extra hour this weekend??
 





7 comments :

Katie said...

i love it! i love that table (what do you call that?) with the pumpkins underneath - so so cute! glad you did a project this weekend! I used the extra hour to switch out my winter clothes with my summer - too bad it took longer than that hour!!

Head to Toe Chic said...

That is such a great idea!!! It looks amazing. I wish I was more productive with my extra hour today.

xo,
Angela
headtotoechic.blogspot.com

Fash Boulevard said...

oh my goodness, these are amazing. Adore this post, love. If you get a sec, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my latest outfit post. Thanks, love. xo

www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

Tonia L said...

Very fun! I love the non traditional colors you used!

Stephanie @ henry happened said...

Tom is lookin' good! I spent my extra hour sleeping - yay!!

Marcie said...

This is so cute. Isn't modge podge great, it's right up there with duct tape and a hot glue gun.:) Thanks for sharing on "I Gotta Try That Monday"
Marcie

Elle Sees said...

so perfect and oh so cute! :-)

Post a Comment

Talking to myself is no fun & borderline crazy so go ahead get your comment on!

 
Blog Design by Edub Graphic Art and Design